Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Project Play - Week 8 - del.icio.us


del.icio.us tames the library site monster
A few weeks ago I was talking to Beth about our new website and the direction we want to go with it. I told her that while we like to add links introduce new/cool/informative sites to our patrons, we don't necessarily want those links to linger forever. Link, link, link and soon you have a monster of a directory where you can't find anything in a reasonable amount of time. I mentioned that we'd rather have a "link of the week" segment on the site.(of course with a much cooler name that we have yet to think up - maybe YOU have a suggestion? Seriously, help us out!)Beth suggested a del.icio.us account for the library. Genius! I set up accounts on the staff computers and now we can tag away to our hearts content. We'll be able to set up a feed from the del.icio.us accout that will update every time we place a new tag. Fresh content for very little work. Thanks Beth!

I also set up a personal account. Let's see if del.icio.us can tackle my genealogy bookmarking snarl. I have a history of finding great info on obscure sites, bookmarking it and entirely forgetting what I thought was great about it when I revisit months later. ARGH! The del.icio.us notes feature should jog my memory.

Care to see what's going in my del.icio.us account and my brain so far? Go ahead, lots of boring genealogy - no XXX sites.

1 comment:

Beth said...

So glad you're liking del.icio.us! Can't wait to see how you pull it into your web site. :)