Sunday, February 24, 2008

Project Play - Week 5

Social Networking Sites & Libraries
Looked at a few of the library sites listed and I was less than impressed. I guess when I think of Facebook and Myspace, I think of people interacting - not institutions. Isn't getting personal the fun part of these sites? I like most of my patrons and I want to be friendly, but I do not want to get that personal with them. IMHO it looked like a lot of work just to come off - do I dare say it - lame.

Facebook is huge among the teens in our small town. (Mostly because Myspace was banned by the High School - but that's another story...) I asked my 17-year-old if the library should have a Facebook profile. He said, and I quote, "Please, Mom, DON'T do that. PLEASE." As he was leaving, he mumbled something like "why do adults have to try to ruin everything."
OK, so that's a no then?

No comments: